Saturday, March 20, 2010

So...

So...
I planned a fun birthday party for a friend who grew up as a Jehovah's Witness and consequently never had her birthday celebrated. I've been working on it for weeks, and the evening before the party she calls and says that all her friends and family are going to be out of town or are sick, etcetera, and won't be able to come, so can we have it next weekend?
So...
What do I do? I say, "Of course. No problem!" Which, of course, plans wise, it isn't really--I had nothing else planned for next Saturday. However, I have a small fortune in strawberries which won't last till next week, and I borrowed a chocolate fountain but it won't be available next weekend. The sourdough bread might last if I freeze it, but it won't be as good. The cheese for the 3 cheese soup is still in original wrapping, so it will be fine, it's just a good thing I didn't make it and the cupcakes the afternoon before like I was originally planning to do.
My Father suggested that I tell her: "Too bad, you're inconsiderate, so you don't get a party." My reply was: "Great, Pop, then my callous comment becomes the catalyst for her commiting suicide." Which is great alliteration, but a terrible possibility.
My immediate problem was what to do with my day. Since my husband is out sailing his first race since last summer, I am once again all alone with the girls all day. No plans, no real errands, lots of stuff to do, but no help to do it or watch the girls while I do something outside the ordinary.
So...
What do I do? I create an errand. Hannah needs more food, I'll go to the store. Of course at the grocery store, there are cookies, and soda, and a lot of other stuff I don't need. What do I do? Buy it. Of course. And, of course, I'm still not satisfied.
So...
What do I do? I create another errand. Chris (my husband) mentioned that Swain's had garden edging on sale, which is something I've been wanting for the garden, and that translates in my brain to "You have permission to buy it." Off to Swains to buy garden edging, but read the instructions, and they tell you to stake it down every so often. Edging, stakes, and a pink harmonica later (don't ask), and I'm still not satisfied.
So...
What do I do? I create yet another errand. I've recently come to the bitter realization that I have expanded beyond my pre-pregnancy size and I need to stop pouring myself into my size 22's and go up a notch. A couple weeks ago, I found at Goodwill some nice pants, but no jeans for daily wear. I told Chris I would probably have to go to a specialty store and spend $30 on a good pair of nice fitting jeans, and he made some typically male non-commital grunt, and that translates to "You have permission to buy them." But we're hungry by now and have to stop and Wendy's for "lunch". Then Off to Fashion Bug which has a large selection of plus-size clothes that are actually not hideous. They are having a sale (of course, when are they NOT having a sale?), buy one, get one for $10. So, I find a pair of good jeans that fit nice, and 3 cute shirts...$80 later...I'm still not satisfied, but the girls are tired (lucky for our budget).
So...
Finally I head for home. I'm not satisfied, I don't know what to do with the rest of my day, I'm facing the prospect that even though Emmy is VERY tired she probably won't nap, I have a headache, I'm hungry again, I have no idea what time Chris will be home, I want to scream but it will make my headache worse, I want to cry, but it will make my headache worse.
So...
I get Emmy a snack and start Pocahontas (her current fave), and nurse Hannah to sleep. Then I sit down to a great snack of 3 cookies and a glass of milk (no wonder I'm a size 24), and I blog.
So...
Now what?

2 comments:

  1. From your friend, Jayne. You have been on my mind so much lately. I think I know some of what you're going through. When my two girls were little, their dad was working full-time, finishing his degree and had a significant calling at church. Just before I turned 30, I felt that I had not reached any of my education or professional goals from my younger days. Then we moved to WA state and were owners of a business. Later I started working for the local library and became a supervisor of a department. All this time, I felt less than human at least one week during the month. When I reached Menopause, I really thought I was losing my mind until I talked with my doctor and we found a solution. After all these years, I really do feel fulfilled after working in the library for almost 30 years and owning two businesses with my husband and volunteering in the community--and raising two beautiful daughters. I realize I am a worthwhile person. I guess what I am saying is that--it is difficult while you are going through hard times but know that there are others that you can talk to who understand more than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend Jayne,
    Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, compassion and your offer as a listening ear. Be warned: I will take you up on your offer!
    <3

    ReplyDelete