Friday, May 20, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Courtesy of my good friend, Becky McFarland at http://buzzycreations.blogspot.com/, I have been inspired and motivated yet again! I made a BUNCH of laundry detergent. It is 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup Boraxo, and 1 bar of Fels Naptha. I used my food processor to break down the soap, using the Boraxo and washing soda to help keep it blending nicely. I put it all in an old icecream bucket with a scoop, and VOILA! Here is the link to Becky's page about her experience: http://buzzycreations.blogspot.com/2011/05/homemade-laundry-detergent-vs-store.html
Then I did the math. Using our current detergent I get about 96 loads for about $11 which is about 11.4 cents per load. With the homemade stuff I get 48 loads for about $2.50 which is about 5.2 cents per load. THAT'S A 64% SAVINGS!!!
I'm excited to save money this way especially since the cloth diaper thing didn't last very long--the less I have to deal with poop, the happier I am! Anyway, the clothes and towels I washed with the detergent I made are clean, have a very light scent and it cost me 64% less than it used to. All in all a reason to smile. :o)
Thanks, Becky, for another great idea and helping me get motivated to do it! <3

3 comments:

  1. YAY!! Glad you love it and it saves lots of money...what could be better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question: How well does it clean your clothes? That's the only concern I have with homemade soaps. Also, how does it do with washing blacks? Does it leave a residue on darks or does it come out perfectly clean?

    Thank you!
    Kten

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the homemade detergent! It gets the clothes clean, smells good without being over powering, doesn't irritate my sensitive skin (VERY surprising), and stays relatively fresh for longer periods of time (like on towels). I haven't noticed any residue on my dark colors, but I don't use a lot of the detergent (only about 1 tablespoon per load or 2 if the stuff is REALLY dirty). So far, so good!

    ReplyDelete