Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Breaking Out Of the Shell

Everyone has at least one. Even if you don't think you do, I bet if you dig deep enough you'll find yours. Barriers, limits on life, a comfort zone, a shell. Whatever you call it, I've found another one in my life, and I'm trying to break out of it.
I have started taking belly dancing classes. That's right. Belly dancing! And I am having the time of my life! The other ladies that come regularly are strong, encouraging, and fun to be around which has made it easier for me to forget about my body image issues--at least for a short while.
For those of you who think that belly dancing is just about shaking your body around to make the coins ring, you're seriously mistaken. Real belly dancing is a SERIOUS workout! It's all about controlling the muscles in your abdomen, back, legs, buttocks, chest, arms...well, pretty much every muscle! In order to produce the sinuous, fluid movements of the dance, you have to know exactly what each muscle is doing and be able to tell it where to go and what to do without thinking about it. That's what gives the illusion that it is easy.
I figure I might be performance worthy in a few years, but in the mean-time it is a great way to get moving, get out of the house, get away from the kids, and break out of that shell!
The instructor has already asked me to help her make video segments on how to do the basic individual dance moves, and create a blog for our little group.
Anyone in the Port Angeles/Sequim area: Hapy's Oasis meets Tuesdays at 7PM at the Sequim Senior Center. Classes are $4 each or $15/month. Bring your water bottle and come join us!

1 comment: